View Single Post
Old July 29, 2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Colin M

Bug out communications options

I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong place.

So those of us in Southern California had a 5.4 magnitude reminder about the importance of being prepared for natural disasters. I live about 20 miles from the epicenter from today’s quake (my parents live only 3 miles). No real damage… this time.

I try to be prepared as possible. I keep a Bug out bag at my place, and one at my girlfriends, food and water for at least two weeks at each location at all times. I thought I had it more or less covered, until today.

The last major earthquake to strike Southern California was in 1994, pre- wide use of cell phones, internet, email etc. The biggest problem in the hours after today’s quake was the inability to get a hold of anyone via cell phone, text message or land line. Understandably so, millions of people picked up the phone at the same time.

So my question is this… what are my other communications options? Specifically what can I equip my girlfriend and family with that will enable us to communicate if a quake knocks the power to a wide swath of Southern California?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Page generated in 0.02287 seconds with 8 queries