View Single Post
Old April 3, 2008, 09:02 AM   #3
pax

To paraphrase one of the smartest people I know (hi Marty!), if your home environment is so dangerous that you need the split-second reaction time of having a gun under your pillow, it's time to beef up your home security so you have more time to react.

Better locks, better doors, bars in the windows or wood dowels in the tracks, thorny plants under the windows, exterior lighting. Do the stuff that buys you time so you can relax a bit at home.

My personal solution for after dark (which may or may not apply to you) is to lock the front door and the bedroom door, then place the firearm in an unlocked lock box in my room. The gun is usually lying on top of (or placed within) a fanny pack which also has a flashlight, a spare magazine, and my cell phone in it. The fanny pack can be put on over a robe if necessary.
If the kids need me in the night, I lock the case before I open the locked bedroom door. Pretty straightforward.

Other than that, the gun is on my hip when I'm dressed. That's where it is safest and best under my control, that's where I know the little darlings aren't getting to it, that's where I know an intruder cannot get between me and my weapon, and that's where I know the kids' clueless friends will never find it.

YMMV of course!

pax

Page generated in 0.02654 seconds with 8 queries