View Single Post
Old December 1, 2018, 02:46 PM   #20
briandg

here again we have the hypothetical that can't be answered in any way, with any accuracy. We can't even go to statute, it will start with the witnesses and the person who reported it. We can't rely on statute, cops may ignore the statute.

If we are talking about a shooting of a human I can't even remotely see a situation in which the officer present won't take the gun, a shooting has occurred and no cop will allow evidence in that event to walk back home. Maybe it won't come back.

Shooting a coyote? Why stick around and take the risk?

Some states and municipalities include seizure of the gun as part of the offense, most if not all will leave it to the discretion of the officer on the scene if there is no statute to seize the firearm. Any cop can decide that it's a public nuisance or danger and take the thing.

If you are discreet, the chances are that you'll never be discovered. Leave it where it fell. move on before you are seen. You probably won't be in any worse condition if you do so. Or you can drag it into the weeds, take it home, whatever.

Twenty years ago I had a problem with squirrels at my home, in my attic. The destruction was serious. I was killing them in my yard maybe five or ten a day sometimes. If it was hot and trash day was still a few days off, I'd toss the carcasses on my windshield, and when I reached a convenient spot, toss them into the street with the wipers. One way or another, whether dogs, cats, or crows, the things would disappear before the next morning.

Page generated in 0.03593 seconds with 8 queries