View Single Post
Old February 27, 2015, 10:30 AM   #38
btmj

Quote:
Once you start to move, and deal with targets on the flanks as you go, youre likely going to find that you wont be able to use your normal "static" grip at all.

Assuming a right handed shooter, targets to the right, are basically going to be addressed one handed, as its very difficult to maintain a two handed grip.

Targets to the left, and I think you will see yourself sliding into a form of Weaver as you go.

Theres a lot to be said for being well versed in many things, flexible and adaptable.
I agree with this. I practice a lot of one handed shooting, both right and left (weak side for me). I also practice coming from a one-handed low ready position to on-target... For me, I find the thumbs down (left thumb on top of right thumb) to be the fastest grip to get into and on target... and it is a grip I can use on all of my pistols and revolvers.

I tried the thumbs forward for a year, and in certain instances with certain guns I noticed a slight improvement in the accuracy of a long string of rapid fire. But under stress I was reverting back to 20 years of thumbs down habit. And as I mentioned, I found it a little slower to get into this grip. So I gave it up. Plus, the whole exercise of trying something new set my skills back... It took some practice to recover back to where I started from... lesson learned: don't screw around with changing something that basic.

For carefully aimed precision target work, I use a variation on the teacup grip. I use it even with heavy recoiling guns like my super red hawk. Both elbows bent, left hand fully carrying the weight of the gun, and the right hand gripping just tight enough. I let the recoil bring the gun straight up, and very little recoil makes back to my shoulders. Observers sometimes advise me to grip the gun tighter... " wow that gun is really pushing you around, you should lock your arms down..." except I can make a 3 inch group at 50 yards, and shoot 70 rounds of hot 300 grain handloads in an afternoon without a problem ... people who "lock down on the gun" can't often do that. Teacup for a combat gun? would not work for me.

For someone starting out today, I would advise them to learn the thumbs forward grip as the default style... If they can't make it work, then try something else. But for people who have been shooting for 20, 30, or 40 years, sticking with what works is a very valid decision.

Jim

Page generated in 0.03139 seconds with 8 queries