View Single Post
Old January 26, 2010, 04:52 PM   #65
mr-geep

Panama 1989....enough said about that
In Iraq, I was armed with a MRK-19 mounted on a Hummer, so never got close enough to anybody to recieve small arms fire.

When I came back home in '92 (I was 23), I went deer hunting with my dad. I had just come over the top of a ridge over a ravine when I heard the familiar "ZZZzzzzzzr" then an immediate report from a high caliber rifle. I threw myself face first in the snow by instinct. Sat there for a second, and then my brain completly disengaged. I stood up, threw my rifle back down into the snow, pulled the .357 from its holster and began yelling "Stick your head out you so-and-so cause I'm gonna blow your frick'n head off!" I remember firing a couple shots aimlessly and yellin something like "I'm leaving one bullet in here for you". I then started about 30 feet down the hill towards where the shot came from when fear came over me. Not fear of being shot at, but fear that I would have honestly killed the SOB if I had seen him. I stopped in my tracks, yelled a couple more profanitys , went back up to look for my rifle and then went back the way I came.
In Panama, you learned to keep your head down and would even joke with your buddys when bullets were zing'n overhead, I guess fear manifests itself in different ways in different situations.
I didn't go deer hunting for several years after that, and am still leary during rifle season.

BTW, I was wearing a hunter orange jacket with an orange cap (Not required in Idaho). My guess is he or she saw movement coming over the top of the ridge and shot.

Page generated in 0.03373 seconds with 8 queries