View Single Post
Old December 31, 2017, 12:35 AM   #60
briandg

I've noticed that most centerfire rounds bigger than a hornet can and will swat almost any critter down if it is hit right. If that means a brain shot at fifty yards or a butt shot at a thousand with a bmg the key is choosing the combination of rifle and round that fit the shooter, the shot, the game. Anyone can play the game of "Elwood Atwood shot a moose with it" and carry that hornet to make brain shots on pronghorns. It's the responsibility of every shooter to know the limitations and capabilities of their hunting piece or defensive piece and not play silly games with themselves.

It makes for a good story when a giant African warthog is lobotomized with a load of number nine shot, over the shoulder with a mirror, but so is Cinderella.

Let a kid or anyone else carry what feels right and is appropriate for the hunt.

I'm glad that I started out with a .243, I was a bony little guy, and even that gave me broken veins in my shoulder after forty or so rounds. I'm glad that I didn't start out with the 30-06 that I shoot know.

Whatever it takes, I believe that reducing the beating that a person takes when shooting can be the most important issue for effective training.

Isn't it odd that most of this discussion has been about getting different cartridges, rather than adding a recoil pad and a set of sound cancelling ear plugs? After a few days of thinking about this thread I feel kind of stupid for not suggesting it in the beginning. It's a whole lot cheaper than a new rifle.

Page generated in 0.02904 seconds with 8 queries