View Single Post
Old August 9, 2013, 09:48 AM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
fragtagninja posted:
Would it be possible to mount a scope rail on top of the carry handle and still see down the iron sights?
I agree with Mobuck: A scope mounted on a carry handle is a bad idea; it's too high so it's impossible to get good, consistant check weld. In the old days, people mounted scopes on top of the carry handle, but that's because the handle was fixed so they had no choice.

In my opinion the carry handle is the most useless AR accessory there is. It's not actually for carrying the rifle; in the Marines we'd get slapped if we ever carried our M16A2s by the carry handle ("It's not a briefcase!!!"). All it does is add unnecessary weight and bulk and also prevents you from properly installing any kind of optic.

When I bought my first AR back in the 90s, I was used to the fixed carry handle of the M16A2. So it was awesome that I was able to take the carry handle off of my personal rifle, install a flip-up rear sight, and free up space for optics. That's my recommendation to anyone who buys an AR with a removable carry handle: Get rid of it and install a good flip-up (or even fixed) rear sight. Your sight picture will be just as good and you'll cut weight and bulk and free up space for an optic.

Last edited by Spats McGee; August 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Removing profanity

Page generated in 0.03834 seconds with 8 queries