View Single Post
Old August 14, 2001, 10:25 AM   #10
Dave3006

On second thought, Skorzeny did sum up exactly what I believe. However, I think it is worth mentioning my motivation behind my statements. Sensop seems to have had his feelings hurt by my statements that one martial art is superior to another. Well, I would love to hold hands with all martial artists and sing "We are the world". But, I keep coming back to the fact that martial arts need to primarily work on the street. All the spirtual development mumbo jumbo is a distant second. It is only logical that some arts are more realistic and effective than others. I remember Chuck Taylor stating in a class, "What you believe can get you killed". The $64,000 question is - what are you going to believe about fighting and the selection of the right training methods for fighting. This deserves to be debated and discussed. And, I do not apologize for hurting anyones feelings. If I convince them of their martial art's limitations, I have done them a big favor. We are big boys now. We can take the criticism.

Is Judo the perfect martial art? Hardley. I do know that if two fighters have roughly the same striking ability, if one of the fighters wants the struggle to go to the ground - it will. The person getting hit the most usually makes this decision. I spent 10 years in Shotokan and got my Shodan black belt. I liked Karate. But, I have never met a more brainwashed group. My first day in a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class, I was taken down a dozen times by blue belts. My Karate could not stop them. So, in a sense, my Karate sensei did me a diservice by not training realistically. The real person to blame was me. I believed him. I should have known better. My Karate was worthless on the ground. All my Karate instructor could say was that it shouldn't have gone to the ground. That was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. It did. I did repeatedly.

Dave

Page generated in 0.04545 seconds with 9 queries