View Single Post
Old August 13, 2001, 07:12 PM   #5
Skorzeny

Sensop:

I think what Dave is saying is (correct me here if I misrepresent) that in a real unarmed fight, the size differential makes a GREATER difference that many martial artists make it out to be.

Can skill overcome the size difference? Wholeheartedly yes! However, when there is a significant size/weight differential or any other significant physical attribute disparity, the inverse skill disparity would also have to be significant to overcome the former.

I've heard too many martial art instructors go on about how "size makes no difference." Oh, yes, physical attributes (including size) do make a very significant difference - that is the reason why "combat sport" professionals try to get stronger, faster and more powerful.

That whole "with my techniques, even a small woman can beat a 250lb. gorilla" is a marketing gimmick. Serious instructors emphasize techniques AS WELL AS physical attribute development and realistic sparring.

BTW, I trained in Japan and Korea for several years as well. Nothing magical about those places...

Skorzeny

Page generated in 0.03476 seconds with 8 queries