View Single Post
Old May 25, 2013, 01:35 AM   #6
bamaranger

compounds

Hey 'possum,

What you are seeing, if you really don't know, are referred to as "compound" bows. The pulley/cam systems reduce the "holding" weight of the bow and allow it to be held at full draw easier, making for better aiming, the ability to hold longer, and overall, an easier to shoot bow. Typically, you still need to be able to draw the full draw weight initially, but as the cams and pulleys go to work, you will "hold' less weight. As an easy example, if your bow draws 75 lbs ( a heavy draw for most folks) you will hold 25 once you roll it over.

The other hardware attached is likely high tech arrow rests, sights, likely some sort of stabilizer as well, all that to increase accuracy and shootability.

I've not hunted nor killed any hogs with a bow, but there is a good bit of material on line showing folks who have. HOgs have a gristle shield on the shoulders and an arrow can fail to penetrate the gristle shield. So accuracy is pretty important with hogs and bows.

All that said, , a good, sharp broadhead, (hunting head, with razor sharp, tough blades) placed right, is a very good killer. My own thought is that you need a minimum of 45 lbs of draw weight, and an arrow/head combo that weighs around 400 grains. I'd want a fixed blade head as opposed to the new expandables, but I am old school. More would be better, IF you can shoot it accurately. You need to be able to consistently hit a 6-9" pie plate. When you can't, you have reached your max range.

You do not need to shoot a compound, lots of folks shoot more traditional stick and string bows. They are just as efficient killers, and a lot less complicated. But the full/heavier draw weight makes them harder to shoot for most folks.

If you are serious, I suggest you visit a local bow shop. Hold off on buying anything right away. See if they will let you shoot some different rigs.

Page generated in 0.02380 seconds with 8 queries