View Single Post
Old June 20, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
MLeake

Spenser with a .357? Odd... in Parker's books, he carried a .38 Chief's Special, and sometimes a BHP 9mm. In the last book or two, he had acquired the S&W .40 (model undesignated). I don't recall him ever using a .357.

Hawk started out in the series as a gang enforcer, who happens to be a friend of Spenser's from their time fighting the good fight in Biafra (which would make them both somewhere around 65 years old, but who's counting?). Hawk often does things that aren't legal in the books. He normally carries a .44 magnum or a shotgun. Note that Hawk is supposed to be a large, former pro heavyweight fighter, so conceivably his follow-up capability with the .44 should be better than average. (Still not the weapon I'd have picked, but hey...)

Interestingly, in the book where Spenser comes closest to death, he's shot from ambush by an assassin who uses a silenced .22 pistol.

Spenser makes baseball and/or jazz references in several, if not most books. If that comes as a surprise, Glenn, my guess is this was your first Spenser book.

The earlier books in the series were the better reads.

Edit: Note, Glenn, that in at least one of the stories, when trouble is actively expected, Susan gives Spenser grief about carrying the 5-shot .38, and suggests the BHP would be a better idea.

Spenser likes the .38 because it's comfortable to carry.

Reminds me of any number of threads on "how much is enough?"

Page generated in 0.02451 seconds with 8 queries