View Single Post
Old September 28, 2013, 07:13 AM   #15
daddyo

In the scenario you described, if I was armed, I would have pulled my firearm and prepared to defend myself. Since there is only an implication of a weapon by the bad guy, I would try to conceal the exposure if at all possible. My main focus however would be on making darned sure that if he did come up with a firearm that my lag time to respond would be reduced if not outright gone. As I was pulling my firearm I would be formulating the appropriate response to the exact event unfolding to include locating suitable cover and preparing to get to that cover.

Many will say that you can't do this or that until you have actually seen a firearm. This is not 100 percent true. I have the right to prepare my defense against someone threatening me. In this case the bad guy was implying that he had a gun behind his back. A reasonable man would prepare to respond with the appropriate force. Police would draw their firearms, point them at the suspect, and demand compliance (showing of the empty hands). My rights to self defense are similar. You put your hand in your jacket pocket and straighten your index finger as if you have a gun concealed inside and begin to make violent rhetoric while waving that pocket all around, expect to get drawn on by police and any armed civilians that may be subject of your words. You can wait until he fires a shot through that pocket if you want, I will be preparing my defense from the onset.

Many people have been killed justifiably simply for faking like they have a firearm. It would be difficult for a prosecutor to get a conviction on you for simply preparing to use the force appropriate in saving you from what the threat is preparing to use on you.

In a robbery the mere implication of a weapon, even if never seen, makes it armed robbery. In self defense its the same. You threaten me with that index finger in your jacket by implying that it is a gun, and it is as if you have a gun.

Page generated in 0.02924 seconds with 8 queries