View Single Post
Old December 4, 2009, 01:15 AM   #50
FrankenMauser

Quote:
its crazy, tags have went up about $8 this year and licens about $10..i mean are prices just going to keep going up untill no one can afford to hunt any more (as if it isint already expensive enuff), the prices for a non resident licens in oregon last year was $76.50 this year it is $140.50!!! just the cost to apply for a controlled hunt has almost trippled.....this is insain
Here I was, expecting this (based on the title) to be a complaint from an uppity, I-only-get-to-hunt-63-seasons-in-32-states-this-year-and-the-yearly-africa-trip-will-have-to-be-pushed-back-three-months whiny post. (I appreciate the pro-gun support from anyone, but sometimes those posts get really old, around here. I'm lucky to hunt 2 big game seasons, and nothing else. - This year, we made Antelope fit into the budget, and that was it.)

While I find it almost comical that a complaint is being made about a $10 license and $8 tag (I live in Utah, see UtahHunting's post), I understand your pain. Licenses (which come with tags, if applicable) here have been going up in price, for a while. It's the nature of inflation, and a poor economy. When the state doesn't have the funds to keep wildlife programs going, they pass the cost on to hunters (whether, or not, we use the programs in question).
The way the legislature works in our state, we'll probably see an "Emergency" increase in fees for 2010. Then, a major, across-the-board increase in 2012 (the next year that DNR regulations are up for full review and revision).

Quote:
It would save a ton if I knew how to do the butchering myself.
UtahHunting:
I don't extend invitations very often, but I feel obligated.
Next time you plan to hunt big game, drop me a line (PM here), and I'll see what I can do for you. My family butchers all of our animals ourselves. Most of us are located in the Salt Lake Valley. Butchering is a simple process, once you're shown how to do it properly. All you need are some good, non-serrated knives, a sharpener, a place to hang the game, a little time, some space (I used my kitchen counter this year), and a packaging method (we prefer freezer paper and freezer tape). It helps to have a meat grinder, as well.
Whether it's Deer, Antelope, or Elk, drop me a line. If I don't have the time to help, or offer pointers, my brothers might.

My only caveat: If you plan to turn the whole thing into jerky or sausage... you can figure it out yourself. That is an absolute waste of meat. The animals deserves to be enjoyed; not ground into oblivion, and spiced into tastelessness.

Page generated in 0.02382 seconds with 8 queries