View Single Post
Old February 13, 2014, 04:34 PM   #16
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
So why are they only fair with Black Powder? Do they foul easily or something? I'm just curious; Unless if some place in Northern Kentucky or southern Ohio starts stocking actual black powder, I won't be able to load with it anyway.
The bushing on the front of the cylinder on the Remington 1875 and 1890 is not very tall, so it does not shield the cylinder pin from BP fouling blasted out of the barrel/cylinder gap as well as the bushing on a Colt or clone does.

Here is a photo of the bushings on, left to right, an Uberti Cattleman, Ruger 'original model' Vaquero, and 2nd Gen Colt SAA. I have found that bushings like these do the best job of deflecting BP fouling away from the cylinder pin. Fouling working its way onto the cylinder pin is the main cause of cylinders binding. The Remington 1875/1890, at least the Uberti version, is not quite so tall, and does not shield the cylinder pin quite so well. It certainly is better than the 1858 Remington design, with its total lack of a bushing, just not as good as the Colt or Ruger.

Page generated in 0.03417 seconds with 8 queries