View Single Post
Old March 6, 2013, 01:13 PM   #24
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I don't assume a magazine spring is going to be damaged in a compressed state anymore then I assume a valve spring will be damaged by being left in a compressed state.

As far as what a psychologist might recommend, you might want to take that advice yourself, sir
To keep folks from thinking one (or both) of us is/ are nuts... I removed the "read what you expect to read" comment about the same time as you wrote your reply. But, tell me: what do you think I expected to read that I misread?

You apparently think "compressed state" and "fully compressed" are the same -- and I never wrote anything that suggests that to be the case. A mag with one round in it has a "compressed" spring. On the other hand, your comment that some tappets springs remain compressed while the engine is off adds nothing to the discussion UNLESS you believe some of those springs are fully compressed (or are compressed near or beyond their design limits). My point was that they likely aren't fully compressed, 'cause the engineers, as good engineers will do, build some slack into the spring's design. That's what Wolff Springs call the "design limits."

I mentioned tappet springs because others have suggested that springs only wear out from being worked. Working the springs isn't necessarily an issue, either -- as tappet springs see many millions of compression in their working lifetime, and darn few of them fail. I've never had to replace a spring on most of my standard 9mm (10-round) full-size mags. and the stories about WWII 1911s kept fully loaded in a drawer for 40-50 years that later function perfectly when fired, abound! Those old GI 7-round mag springs aren't pushed beyond their design limits.

On the other hand, I've had quite a few magazine springs for sub-compact and hi-cap mags give up the ghost. Those springs have to do more work than others springs, and if kept loaded, they are kept at or near their design limits. The springs in those applications lose on both counts: trying to make springs do more than they're normally asked to do, both while they work and while they're loaded and not working.

I was a big CZ fan for years -- and still am -- but don't have as many CZs as I once did. Did you know that the springs used in the 9mm full-size CZ 10-round mags, and in the 15, 16, and 17+ rounds mags all use the same spring? Only the followers and base plates are different on the higher capacity versions. Keep those mags fully loaded and tell me which ones are likely to fail first...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 6, 2013 at 01:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.02177 seconds with 8 queries