View Single Post
Old August 15, 2009, 06:59 PM   #11
TheManHimself

Most "Left-handed" long guns are utterly pointless.

Bolt actions make a good case for having left-handed variants; cycling a right-hand bolt from the left shoulder can be rather awkward.

Semi-autos require no input for cycling, leverguns and pump actions cycle identically from either shoulder.

Crossbolt safeties can be reversed, easily in most cases but occasionally requiring minor gunsmithing. Tang safeties are ambidextrous.

Nearly every right-hand-eject repeater in existence is designed with a forward or 3 o'clock ejection pattern that prevents empties from hitting the shooter when firing left-handed. One notable exception is the first-generation AR-15/M16; the brass deflector hump was added to the upper receiver starting in the mid-60's forward.

I shoot left- and right-handed because having that mirrored skillset available in the toolbox might come in handy someday, and I've never been hit by my own empties from any weapon I've fired. I would suggest that buying a new rifle or shotgun, possibly having to special order it, just to get a mirrored action is rather inane if the weapon in question isn't a bolt-action.

Page generated in 0.02536 seconds with 8 queries