View Single Post
Old March 27, 2016, 03:01 AM   #15
briandg

something that you should consider in any case is that you should keep your powder separate in small quantities. You don't need more than one can on the bench, putting a pound on the bench with you and a few hunred primers will help ensure your safety if you do happen to somehow set off a fire.

A powder magazine for commercial purposes according to some documentation I once read should be a wooden cabinet with two inches of wood, laminated boards, overlapping with no gaps, no nails that pierce the inside, no metal hardware inside, yadda yadda, essentially wood, capable of blowing out in case of accident, nothing that can cause ignition, and nothing that can damage the individual storage units.

Piling fifty pounds of powder or even hundreds onto an open shelf in a room isn't a good idea. The cans are meant to burst incase of fire, rather than build compression and explode, and most smokeless won't create a hellish fire, and could actually put itself out.

But, the bottom line is that the bulk storage belongs in a stable, dry, cool place, where it is protected as absolutely as possible, and only working quantitities belong on a bench.

I guess I keep about twenty or more pounds on hand at any time, and I keep it along a wall in my basement in a locked wooden cabinet. Id really feel safer with it in several cabinets in several corners. Honestly, if a pound of powder ignited in a room, unless it's full of flammable products, it may self extinguish. The biggest concern I would have is that a house fire could set off a massive burn with ten pounds of powder, and that could be just as bad as a gallon of solvents or thinners.

Page generated in 0.02979 seconds with 8 queries