View Single Post
Old January 25, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Wyoredman

Letter From Represenative Cynthia Lumis

Here is a letter sent to me today by my Represenative in the U.S. House, Cynthia Lumis (R), Wyoming:
Quote:
Dear (Wyoredman):

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. It is good to hear from you.

As a fifth generation Wyoming rancher, I know firsthand the importance of the Second Amendment to our way of life in Wyoming. Firearms are important for self-defense, recreation or business, as is the case for Wyoming’s ranchers. Our Founding Fathers believed so strongly in our right to own and use firearms that they made it part of our Bill of Rights. I will work to preserve the fundamental, constitutional, individual right of law-abiding citizens to own and use firearms. All too often, this right is under attack in Washington by those who do not fully understand its importance in the rural west.

The senseless shootings in Aurora, CO and Newtown, CT have led to an increased push for gun control. As a mother, I can barely imagine the horror and tragedy experienced by the parents of the Newtown victims. But restricting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiders won’t solve the problem.

I joined several other Republican Members of Congress in sending a letter to President Obama declaring our support for the Second Amendment and opposition to any bans on firearms or ammunition, whether through legislation or Executive Order. We sent this letter in response to the President’s call for resurrecting the ban on semi-automatic weapons and banning magazines larger than ten rounds. The President also announced 23 Executive Orders to advance his gun-control policy. Our letter to the President stresses the need to fight criminals, not turn law-abiding gun owners into criminals with draconian gun control measures.

Some of the Executive Orders may sound acceptable at first glance, such as those that purport to make the laws we already have on the books more effective. But the Executive Branch will have the power to unilaterally fill in the details, so we have to be vigilant in tracking how these orders are implemented and whether they affect the constitutional rights of citizens. As a Member of the House Second Amendment Task Force, I am actively engaged in protecting gun owners from misguided gun control effects. As we work to better enforce existing gun laws and make our streets and schools safe, we cannot in the process disarm law-abiding citizens, undermining their safety and constitutional rights.

I am also attempting to help pass legislation to advance Second Amendment rights for gun owners. In the last Congress, I cosponsored H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act. Introduced by Rep. Cliff Stearns (R-FL), this measure would establish a national reciprocity standard under which concealed weapon permit holders in one state could also carry a concealed weapon in other states that issue concealed carry permits.

Also in the 112th Congress, I authored H.R. 615, the Collectible Firearms Protection Act. This legislation would overturn the U.S. Department of State’s decision to block the importation of American-made M1 Garand rifles and M1 carbines from South Korea. The State Department had previously approved the sale of these items in the United States, but decided to reverse its decision during President Obama’s tenure as President.

The State Department does not have the authority to deny legal firearms to law-abiding citizens. These firearms are popular with collectors and recreational shooters, are unquestionably legal, and their importation is already regulated by the Justice Department. In fact, the Reagan Administration approved a similar sale from South Korea in the 1980’s. This is not about diplomacy or foreign policy—this is a domestic issue and a Second Amendment issue. While H.R. 615 expired at the end of the 112th Congress, I will continue working to reverse the State Department’s unwarranted stonewalling of this legitimate firearms transaction.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to me. I value your input. If you haven’t done so already, I would like to encourage you to visit my website at www.lummis.house.gov. There you can sign up to receive my newsletter, and have access to a wealth of other information. I won’t flood your email box, but I will provide you with updates once in a while about activities in Washington that affect our lives in Wyoming. I hope you will sign up so that we can stay in close touch, and I look forward to seeing you in Wyoming.

Sincerely,

Cynthia M. Lummis

Member of Congress
While quite lengthy, I do believe this letter from a very PRO-GUN Washington Legislator, gives some insite into the people on our side who are representing us in D.C. I also think several TFL members may learn some of the behind-the scene stuff that is currently going on in Washington from Rep. Lumis' letter. I hope you all find this letter as infromative as I did.

Page generated in 0.04050 seconds with 8 queries