Thread: EMS Persons...
View Single Post
Old March 11, 2009, 03:28 PM   #17
Dewhitewolf

I was once a volunteer FF and EMT in New Jersey. I have never heard about any law that specifically forbade FF's and EMT's from carrying, however, NJ prohibits all carry without a permit (almost impossible to get anyway).

I know that many employers (of all kinds, not just emergency agencies), specifically have rules prohibiting employees from carrying weapons, whether licensed or not. Many don't even allow employees to keep weapons in their vehicles, although some states have passed legislation banning that practice.

With that in mind, your instructor is probably incorrect in saying that EMT's cannot carry by law or by regulation. Most likely, it is a policy held by most if not all EMS agencies. By my understanding, open carry is legal everywhere in Colorado except for Denver, and concealed carry with a permit is legal everywhere. This does not mean that your employer cannot impose rules that prohibit you from carrying while working for them.

Page generated in 0.02146 seconds with 8 queries