View Single Post
Old December 9, 2011, 11:57 PM   #34
stephen426

I am from Florida and I have been pulled over several times for speeding and I had a weapon in the car each time.

The first instance was before I was before I was even 21 and was made by city of the city Miami Beach (day time). I was legally carrying my gun in the glove box in a snapped holster. As soon as I was pulled over, I put down the windows and placed both hands on the window. I instructed my buddy who was riding with me to do the same. I told the officers that I was legally carrying a firearm and that it was in the glove box. I also have my license and regstration in there so it would be a pretty bd idea to go fishing for them with a gun in there. The officers made us get out of the car, patted us down (after telling them we had a gun in the car), and proceeded to remove the guns. They wrote me a ticket and handed me back the guns unloaded. This was pretty much as expected except for the pat down. City of Miami Beach cops are known for being jerks though.

I was pulled over by the Highway Patrol on the FL Turnpike going 102 mph in a 70 mph. It was really late at night and there were no cars on the road. Since it was at night, I turned on the interior light first. I then put down the windows and put my hands out of the window. I had another friend with me and instructed him to do the same. When he arrived at my window, I told him I had a loaded weapon in the car and a concealed weapons permit. He asked me where the gun was and I told him it was in the glove compartment. He asked to remove the gun, but he allowed us to stay in the car. He asked if I knew why I was pulled over and I gave him a straight answer. I told him I knew I was speeding, but I wasn't paying attention to how fast I was going. I had quite a ways to go still and we had the music up (which I turned off as soon as we were pulled over). He came back with a ticket for an obstructed tag (non-moving violation that cost around $50) and told me to drive safe. 32 mph over would have been a $300+ ticket and could have been written up as reckless endangerment. He thanked me for telling him I had a gun on the car and told me to drive safely after he handed me back the gun.

Although Florida does not require me to notify a police officer that I am carrying a weapon, I will continue to do so. First of all, it will greatly reduce the chance of me getting shot if he sees the gun and over-reacts. Secondly, it might get me off with a lesser fine.

Page generated in 0.02578 seconds with 8 queries