View Single Post
Old September 15, 2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Wyosmith

Double naught points out:
However, I love this claim. It is capable of duplicating the ballistics of the legendary .30-30, but in an AR15 with a 5.56 bolt.

I see his point very well............and I also ask.

Then what is wrong with my 70 year old 30-30? And why would I want to change rifles, spend a lot more money and get ............. nothing?

I won't kick too many shins here. I do own and love 2 ARs in 6.8SPC, but I can buy brass (instead of making it) and the dies cost $31. It killed VERY well and I have 33 head of game killed with it so far, with 34 shots.
But I really doubt I could find any deer/antelope cartridge that fits an AR15 at any price that would beat the 6.8 by enough to make me want to spend more money on it. If someone comes up with their favorite round and tries to convince me of how much better it is I would then ask them a simple question:
Is it better then my 25-06?
My 25-06 weights 7 pounds with the scope, loaded and with a sling, and shoots 3 shots touching at 100 yards, fired a 120 grain bullet at 3150 FPS and has a lot of range. So is your Stupendous 6.5 or 7.5324MM superduper double-shoulder UberTAC round going to beat my 25-06----- and do so for "only" about $1600 dollars more? My guess is that my 25-06 is lighter, slimmer, has better range, and is more accurate. And I am also betting you can do much the same at Wal-Mart by buying a Ruger, Savage, or Mossberg for much less then a "custom" AR.
I have nothing against the new offerings. What I get amused by are the sales pitches. They are designed to fill the heads of those that just believe any claim because someone said it and they loose sight of the fact that the ballistic parameters of what's being sold have existed for well over 100 years in many cases.

The AR is a wonderful rifles and I believe it's the wave of the hunting future. As bolt actions were in the 20s the weapons young men were trained on from their service in the military, so will be the AR now and in the future. And there is some wisdom is duplicating the old tried and true ballistics that are so well proven that there is NO argument as to how well they work.
I am all for this.

I just smirk when these salesmen try to convince us all that their cartridge is so much better.

No.....they are not!

A 6.8 SPC is giving us the same ballistics as the 257 Roberts did in the 1930-1960s

A 6.5 Grendel is getting close to a 6.5 Jap or a 6.5X64 Mannlicher with light bullets. If you look at capabilities of the 2 old shells with heavy bullets, (156 and 160 grain) the Grendel doesn't get all that close. The Jap dates from the late 1800s and the M/S from around 1903

The sadly forgotten 30 Remington-AR gives us 300 Savage and 303 British ballistics. I have never even seen a factory rifles for this round because Remington seemed to kill it in it's crib, but the shell had a lot to offer.

300 Ham-r = 30-30. So does the 7.62X39 with 150 grain bullets.

The 300 Blackout come withing about 300 FPS, so it doesn't even come up to the 30-30 in power.

Page generated in 0.03654 seconds with 8 queries