View Single Post
Old February 6, 2015, 04:03 PM   #11
HiBC

The movies Jeremiah Johnson and Mountain Man created a public interest and a marketing niche.TC and CVA jumped on it,with both complete rifles and kits.They called them Hawkens.
They were very popular among those with new fond interest.

Then there were the old muzzle loader folks.Some had original rifles of the type,and some just had the interest before it was popular.

I do not intend to put anyone's rifle down.Those commercial rifles are pride and joy to many folks.No problem!!

Its been a long time,I may be fuzzy on my details.Look to the books by James Baird on the Hawken.

Sam and Jake Hawken made a specific pattern of rifle.There were time period variants and some custom or optional features,but an original or true replica is quite recognizable.

IIRC,It started out as Sam Hawken rifles,his brother joined him later.IIRC,the early rifles had a trigger guard that bent squarely up to the stock wrist,and the late guard arched in a semi-pistol grip style.

Two wedge keys and a patent hook breech allowed a rapid"field strip" so the breech end of the barrel could be submerged in the billy pot of hot water for a good cleaning.

I built mine to match a set of blueprints I have taken off an original rifle.For myself,a "Hawken" is at least an honest re creation of the original rifles by Sam and Jake.
For fun,look up J.P.Gemmer and Freund and Bro .
I have no issue with folks calling their TC or CVA a Hawken..Its all good,have fun.

Page generated in 0.02398 seconds with 8 queries