View Single Post
Old November 3, 2012, 03:07 PM   #10
snuffy

Quote:
Hmm, are you expanding enough that you can "stick" the base of the bullet in the case? If so, is it straight going into the seater? If not, why? If still crooked, call the die maker.
Anybody that thinks you can align a bullet straight on top of a case with your fingers is foolish. Fooling yourself and others. The main thing a seating die does is align the bullet before it starts seating it. The better the fit and finish of the seating die is, the better the seating punch fits the bullet, the better the final alignment will be. The case and bullet have to be held in good alignment with each other in order for the bullet to seat straight.

With all the variance of bullet nose shapes, outside diameter, it's a miracle that they get seated straight. Then consider the brass case. It should have enough flair to accommodate the bullet without shaving metal from the sides. So that prevents the die from having a tight accurate hold on that case.

Then we expect to pay way less than 50 bucks for a loading die set. Manufacturing tolerances, TIGHT tolerances cost money. Usually in the form of better machines and better inspections. If we didn't mind a hundred bucks for a set of dies, or around 50 bucks just for a seater, we could get better handgun ammo, by that I mean 0 run-out and no crooked bullet/bulges in the cases.

Precision rifle seaters already exist. Redding and Forster sell them and they work.

Which brought up a question for myself, which resulted in finding that Redding does the same thing for handgun seaters.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/734...uto-rim-45-gap
From the midway description;
"Tighter manufacturing tolerances have been made possible due to the details of the patented seating stem system. The bullet guide to seating stem fit is so precise that the seating stem can actually be demonstrated to "float" on a column of air. The seating stem is precision ground to exactly match bullet diameter. Alignment and accuracy are enhanced by the cartridge case and bullet being completely supported and aligned in a close fitting, precision ground sleeve before bullet seating begins. The micrometer is calibrated in 0.001" increments for precise seating depth and is infinitely adjustable (without clicks). Also has a "zero set" feature that allows you to zero the micrometer to your rifle or favorite seating depth. Shellholder sold separately. "

Still no response by the OP. Did I scare you off with my criticism? Get over it, we're not all gifted with the ability to write! If it weren't for the spell checker built into the firefox system, my posts would look worse than yours!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.06117 seconds with 8 queries