View Single Post
Old January 21, 2014, 06:19 PM   #15
F. Guffey

Quote:
its a commercial action that was re barreled with a short chambered barrel and finished reamed, only when checked with the no go gauge it closes with the same amount of effort as with the go gauge. I was just wondering that if new brass were fire formed to the new chamber and kept separate could the gun be utilized ?.........................thanks LOUD
Loud, what commercial action? If the no go-gage will chamber there is no way the tell if the chamber is shorter than a field reject gage. I make gages from .012" shorter than a minimum length chamber to infinity. Simply because I can and because there is nothing that is more useless than a head space gage. I like head space gages for transfers and standards, problem, transfers and standards are foreign to reloaders.

If you were a wildcat type reloader or a case former you could determine the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face basic reloader skills.

I have a 30/06 chamber that is .002" longer than a field reject gage, that makes the chamber .016: longer than a minimum length/full length size case.For me? not a problem, I form 280 Remington cases to 30/06, All I have to keep up with is the gap between the bottom of the die and bottom of die, I use a feeler gage to adjust the die off the shell holder .014". I have a 30/06 forming die if necessary, I also have a 308 W forming die, it works but, if I explained how it works I some could get dizzy and others could pass out.

Problem, you need long cases, the 280 Remington is .041" longer than the 30/06 from the datum to the case head. It gets expensive if you order 'cylinder brass' for $37.00 for 20 cases, UNLESS! you consider the purchases a tool. Cylinder brass is a straight wall 35 Whelan case that has a length of 2.650", I could say, you can't miss with a case that long but as sure as I said that someone would say "you want to bet".

If I had the rifle I would neck the 280 Remington case up to 338 or 35 Whelen. After necking the cases up I would start sizing the cases back to 280/7mm a little at a time. After necking the case down a little at a time I would attempt chambering them. Once I found a case that would allow the bolt to close, I would measure the length of the case from the shoulder/datum to the head of the case, the measurement would give me the length of the chamber. At that point I would check to see if the case was long enough to have a neck that was long enough to hold a bullet.

I have one wildcat chamber with a neck that is .217" long, I have two other chambers that allow for a neck that is .264" long, both chambers with the .264 neck are 300 Winchester Magnums.

It is possible to created a neck on a necked up 280 Remington case once and use it to determine the length of the chamber. Doing it is the easy part, trying to convince the choir it can be done is the impossible part.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; January 21, 2014 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add has, change of to if

Page generated in 0.02219 seconds with 8 queries