View Single Post
Old August 21, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40
Another problem I see is that there are so many good budget rifles right now. A fellow could pick 3-4 budget rifles in 3-4 chamberings made by Savage, Ruger, Marlin of several others for less money than having 1 rifle with multiple barrels.
IMHO this hits the nail on the head.

A switch-barrel rifle setup adds manufacturing steps and complexity. This adds cost, making such rifles less attractive compared to buying an additional rifle for each cartridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
...reducing the work load of those folks who have to deal with all those 4473s.
I'd actually argue the contrary, the Form 4473 and the NICS check aren't that much of a headache.* They certainly don't seem to have put much of a damper on recent firearms sales!

OTOH the sales potential of this idea is probably much greater in Europe, where buyers generally face far more red tape than American buyers, even those in relatively restrictive states. (Notably, restrictive US states may require firearms permits or licenses that aren't needed elsewhere, but these licenses and permits don't generally limit the number of bolt rifles that may be purchased.) The increased red tape largely explains the relatively greater popularity of combination guns and drillings in Europe. It's also the reason why the SIG P250 was designed with frames and barrels that interchange around a single serial-numbered trigger group, allowing shooters to use the pistol in several configurations while legally owning only a single "firearm".

*Please note that I'm NOT advocating the continuation of NICS or the Form 4473 from a Constitutional or individual rights standpoint; I'm merely pointing out that they're evidently not inconvenient enough to noticeably hamper overall new gun sales.

Page generated in 0.03538 seconds with 8 queries