View Single Post
Old February 10, 2013, 03:26 PM   #79
jad0110

Just from reading your posts, I promise you will regret selling or trading either of you Glocks. Saving up is your best bet.

Going back to some of your earlier posts, I agree that in 6 to 1 odds against determined attackers, I'd probably be screwed as well. Even if armed with my preferred HD gun, my 16" AR-15. Someone I knew said the extra rounds won't save you, but it will allow you to maybe take more of them with you . Your only chance in that scenario is to very quickly determine who the leader of the pack is, plug him and hope the rest (or most of them) back down and flee.

As for reliability, the irony is the Glock has survived all sorts of totally ludicrous torture tests. Then again, I had a 75% failure rate with a G19 (or maybe it was a G23, I don't recall now) and about a 50% failure rate with an XD9 simply by intentionally holding it with a less than perfect grip and a somewhat limp forearm and wrist to simulate injury. OTH, the reliability of my revolvers and incidentally my 1911 aren't impacted by the same treatment.

Both platforms can and do break, and I do make it a habit to change my recoil spring and my mag springs from time-to-time in my 1911. Also, many revolver problems occur because of operator error (binding due to dumping the empties with the muzzle pointing down thereby getting crud under the extractor star, as an example) and a lot of the problems come on gradually (timing being a good example) that can be detected long before it becomes a big problem. Unless you plan to get into a fire fight that lasts a couple hundred rounds .

I carry both platforms BTW, but I've always been a little more comfortable with my trusty wheelguns. But that's just me, and other may feel differently.

The Ruger "Six" series .38 and .357 revolvers are truly excellent. The balance and feel almost as nice as the S&W K Frames, but they have the approximate durability of the larger S&W L Frame. Granted, the triggers typically aren't as nice, but that can be remedied.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll save up for a sweet wheel gun soon and you'll have the best of all worlds: the 2 Glocks that you love and a cool revolver.

Just as a side note, the Colt DS is NOT delicate, per se. They are actually remarkably reliable and durable, as long as they are perfectly in tune. If they DO develop a problem (such as end shake or timing issues), they need to be repaired ASAP or more damage will result. Unlike a S&W or Ruger that can tolerate some slop, many Colts don't. Finding a good Colt gunsmith locally can be a challenge as well.

Last edited by jad0110; February 10, 2013 at 03:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.02289 seconds with 8 queries