View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Bank vault doors are designed to go into, well... a vault: That being a reinforced concrete box.

"Good Luck" reinforcing the walls, floor, and ceiling of an existing room to make it less work to get thru the door than to just chainsaw a hole in the ceiling from the floor above or below
I did some museum research years ago, touring a lot of museums. I was examining specimens in the "vault" of this one museum that had a beatiful antique, giant vault door from from late 1800s bank (donated, it was explained to me). It was impressive, but while there, they were getting high speed internet access lines installed inside the vault. I watched the technician drill holes for the wiring access through the drywall. I had to laugh. The door was beautiful, secure enough for their needs, but the room's structural security really wasn't. The door was for show. Of course they had all sorts of alarming wired up which was the real security.

So a vault door on an unsecured building really is nothing more than for show and often a quite expensive "for show" fixture. If your building doesn't have the reinforced floor, walls, ceiling, etc., then the door isn't really providing you security as much as an illusion of security. You might be better off with a hidden room than a heavy vault door that has the potential to cause foundation or structure problems. Most homes are not built with substantial localized additional weight in mind and hanging a vault door will likely require serious remodeling.

Quote:
Questions are:
How did you test the door prior to installation or did you?
What sort of "test" are you talking about? A buddy of mine works for a safe company that does vault doors. They have safe/vault technicians that assure that even their used products function correctly. If you didn't buy from such a dealer, you should consider paying to have it inspected by a professional.

Quote:
Do you have a 'backdoor' way into the room?
Do you have another vault door?

Quote:
Do you have a way out in the event you're locked in?
Most modern vault doors are made with a means by which to exit, but not all older ones. If your vault door doesn't have this and you are worried about being inprisoned by some nefarious person, then don't install the vault door or get one that allows for egress.

Page generated in 0.03711 seconds with 8 queries