View Single Post
Old November 4, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1
Uncle Malice

Ordered my new ASA 10.5" upper today.

I'm impatient, so I had to sell a couple of guns to pay it off - my P229 Equinox and Mossberg 500 Tactical - but I'm okay with that.

The 10.5" barrels at 1:7 are currently in production, so it's going to be a couple of weeks. If i had gone with 1:9, I would have it early next week.

I already have the ASA Custom Shop lower that I used for filing my Form 1. The wait is going to kill me!
  • ASA A3 Side Charger Upper
  • 10.5" Barrel w/ 1:7 Twist
  • Samson 9" Evolution Rail
  • Diamondhead Premium Front and Rear Sights

The plan was originally to go with the Adams Arms piston kit, but they kind of talked me out of it. Said it's really unnecessary and ads unnecessary weight to the front end, along with more mass moving during recoil. After a bit of research, people's opinions seem pretty evenly split on DI vs Piston in an AR. My Ruger SR-556C is piston and I like it a lot, but I figured I'd go with their recommendations on this. If I feel like I need a piston kit in the future, it's not terribly expensive to do the conversion, and I just used the money that I would have spent on the piston kit to upgrade to the side charger. I'm very impressed with the quality. Their customer service is great, and it's a nice bonus that the shop is literally right across the street from my office.

I'll be assembling my lower this weekend, which consists of the ASA Custom Shop lower, Spike's LPK, Spike's mil-spec buffer tube w/ Magpul CTR stock, Troy dual-side BattleSling mount, and ErgoGrip pistol grip. I also have the Magpul AFG-2 that will be going up front on the rail once I get it back.

Pics to come once I finally get her in hand of course. This will be my most expensive gun yet.

EDIT: Here are a few representative pics to show what I am getting. Obviously, these are not my rifle:

ASA Side Charger:

Diamondhead Sights:

Samson Evolution Rail (This one is longer than 9"):

Last edited by Uncle Malice; November 4, 2011 at 03:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.05683 seconds with 8 queries