View Single Post
Old August 15, 2009, 10:31 AM   #104
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon28
Have any facts to back up that the majority of Americans don't own guns?What % actually do?
Actually, no one has an exact number because we don't register them. The NRA says about 50% of all households have a gun in them. One may suspect some bias there.

Here is a study that I believe is a bit more objective that shows there are a lot of guns in the US but they are highly concentrated among a small percentage of owners. http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cgi/...t/full/13/1/15

Kind of like the members of this forum.

Their conclusion is about one third of all households have at least one gun in them. So two thirds do not. Therefore I submit most Americans do not own guns.

Quote:
The best thing possible for presidential protection is one of two options:
One: no one but Secret Service is allowed within shooting distance of the president.
Actually what the USSS does is not allow anyone with a gun (other than themselves and others they have cleared) within shooting distance of the President and that has worked quite well.

Quote:
The SS is NOT capable of protecting the president, at least the % of times they have managed to stop an actual attack are NOT good.
They have stopped far more than you may know of. Also, most of their protective measures are done during their advance work and not readily seen by the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemedic
I have always wondered what legal authority they do that under.
There is a lot of Law written to protect the President. Here is one place to look: http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/homesec/RL34603.pdf and you might try their website. Too much here for me to post but a LOT of Federal legislation written on their behalf.

Last edited by Tennessee Gentleman; August 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.03695 seconds with 8 queries