View Single Post
Old August 8, 2009, 10:44 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
legally you may be better off if "they came right at you" and you had to shoot them.
Suggesting that you kill someone when you don't need to in order to simplify legal matters is completely unacceptable at TFL.

You can not shoot criminals to make your life easier or to avoid prosecution, that is called MURDER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver
If it's just you and the criminal in a room, with no witnesses, my gut tells me that you could do whatever your conscience could handle if he wasn't compliant...
Folks, deadly force laws do NOT give you the power of God over a criminal--you don't automatically get to shoot them because they don't obey you. The deadly force laws ONLY give you very limited rights to prevent certain carefully described crimes.

The only time it's legal to shoot someone for not obeying you is if they are committing or about to commit one of the very specific crimes that justifies deadly force and you command them to stop.

<<<After an PM exchange with Matt (EMB135Driver), I don't believe I accurately characterized his comment above. It was, rather, a case of miscommunication. He did not intend to imply that one should take advantage of the lack of witnesses in order to shoot a criminal solely for failing to comply.>>>

Just to make it very plain.

If you think that shooting people is a good solution in situations where deadly force is not legally justified then this is your warning to keep it to yourself on TFL. TFL was created for the discussion and advancement of responsible firearms ownership. That does not include shooting people because they won't obey you or because it's legally risky to detain people.

Last edited by JohnKSa; August 9, 2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added note from PM Exchange

Page generated in 0.02912 seconds with 8 queries