Thread: Clean new 1911?
View Single Post
Old October 31, 2013, 03:40 PM   #27
overkill0084

Quote:
Do I need to clean it before I use it the first time?
A cleaning isn't just a cleaning. It's also an opportunity to inspect and familiarize yourself with your new firearm. If there is any of that packing goop all over your new toy, it's corrosion preventative not gun oil or slide grease. If you blow it off, will your pistol work ok? Probably. But on a 1911 I'd probably be more observant of propriety, than with, say, a Glock or M&P. As mentioned previously, 1911s as a species do not respond well to being dry.

Quote:
Cleaning something that is not dirty,doesn't make much sense to me.
In my experience, many NIB guns have been fired and shipped without cleaning. If you've ever received one with the fired case in the box for those jurisdictions where it's required, you can bet that there wasn't a careful cleaning afterwards. (My CZ & my Ruger being just two I can remember off hand.) Ditto w/ factory functional check firings.
Guns are one of the few things where new doesn't always equal clean.

Quote:
Most gun shops lube them up before they put'em in the display
Actually most do not.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke

Page generated in 0.03188 seconds with 8 queries