View Single Post
Old March 1, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
ckpj99

Right handed - Left eyed: Long guns

So I have no trouble with handguns. I shoot with both eyes open. For some reason, the Weaver stance works best for getting my left eye behind the gun in my right hand.

With long guns however...

For small caliber rifles, like a .22, I lean over the gun. I shoot right-handed, and kind of tuck and tilt my head so my left eye is lined up. That basically means that I put my whole face on the stock.

For shotguns (I have not experience with large caliber rifles), I've tried two things. I can force my right eye to work, but it takes a lot of concentration. When shooting skeet, it's too slow and distracting. My second tactic has been to shoot left handed. Once the gun is up, I'm fine, but manipulating the weapon is a nightmare. When I pick up a gun, I automatically pick it up as if I'm shooting if righty. Reloading is horrible.

So has anyone overcome this problem? Does anyone with cross dominance lean over their shotgun? I've tried, but the recoil into my face is pretty terrible. Is there anything I can do other than 10,000 rounds of lefty shooting? Are there any stock modifications that are possible? If I could carve a huge notch in the stock for my face, I'd be perfect.

Page generated in 0.03188 seconds with 8 queries