View Single Post
Old September 12, 2009, 12:38 AM   #17
Wuchak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensteelforge
]I'm really not sure where we get the idea that the penetration of a full metal jacket bullet is a good thing for defense or hunting. These rounds exist solely as a result of the Geneva Conventions mandate that signatories use small arms projectiles designed to prevent excessive damage, or untreatable wounds. They are intended to wound rather than kill, whenever possible. I never met anyone in my time in the wars who wouldn't rather have some kind of expanding ammunition in a gunfight (FMJ is a handicap).....
What you say is true for a gun fight but you don't get into gun fights with bears. If they are armed now I'm staying out of the woods . Expanding ammo is preferable in handguns when defending against humans. When it comes to 4 legged predators penetration through lots of dense muscle and bone is needed and unless you are using .44 magnum or larger calibers handguns just don't have enough power to penetrate with expanding ammo. Hardcast lead or fmj is the way to go.

The advice about the bear spray is right on. The stuff is proven very effective. It's expensive but I would rather have a bottle of that than a .40 S&W no matter what ammo was in it. Since you're dead set on taking the .40 I'd load it with the hottest and heaviest (heavier weight gives better penetration) fmj or hard cast lead bullets you can get. Check the offerings from Double Tap and Buffalo Bore. The 40 would be my third line of defense with number 1 being the pepper spray and number 2 being the rifle.

Unless you slather yourself in bacon grease before going to bed you have a better chance of being struck by lightening than having a problem with a black bear. Grizzlies are another story but black bears are closer to a big Labrador retriever in temperament than they are to grizzlies.

Good luck on the hunt! Worry more about mountain lions than black bears. The 40 with hardcast or fmj should do ok for cats. They aren't as large or densely built as the bears.

Page generated in 0.02785 seconds with 8 queries