View Single Post
Old August 20, 2008, 12:41 PM   #146
Borch

I work in corrections for the local sheriff's office and I have my CCW. My CCW class was taught by a department firearms instructor and one of the things that he talked about was open carry and I happen to agree with him on this. The general public has been forbidden or restricted in their carrying of firearms for over 100 years and as such the general public is not accustomed to seeing openly displayed firearms that are not on the duty belt of a uniformed LEO.

Many in the general public do not shoot or hunt and many are also scared of guns even in the hands of LEO's. We, as CCW holders and active carriers of weapons are in the vast minority in this country, and the numbers back this up, at least here in MN they do. Since MN became a CCW state 5 years ago somewhere around 10,000 permits have been issued, out of a population of over 2 million statewide. I live in a county of 150,000 people and only 1100 permits have been issued here. Open carry would, IMO, only invite trouble. I don't mean from people who want to make me a target, but from the non gun carrying, non shooting, non hunting, possibly fearful people in the community.

It happened to a buddy of mine last year, his sweatshirt came up over his gun when he bent down to pick up a 12 pack of soda at the gas station and by the time he had paid for the soda and exited the store there were 3 cops waiting, one with her weapon drawn. He was put through the full felony arrest procedure (get down on your kness, now lay down, put your hands behind your head etc.). He was searched, disarmed, handcuffed and put in the back seat of the squad car. His weapon was then unloaded and secured in the trunk of the squad car. He was then brought back out and questioned at length. By the time the whole incident was finished it had been almost 2 hours and he had nearly lost his job as his boss had driven by and seen what was going on.

Based on this I will never open carry and I am very sure my weapon is fully concealed, at all times when in public. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to be detained and questioned everytime someone gets nervous and calls the cops because they've seen my weapon that I legally carry.

Page generated in 0.03355 seconds with 8 queries