View Single Post
Old October 21, 2014, 05:31 PM   #14
ckpj99

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and got what I needed for reloading. I need to place an order for bullets as no place locally has anything. I have sourced almost everything else I need.

A couple of questions pertaining to reloading, and mods feel free to move this if it's too far off topic:

What are your thoughts on IMR 3031? It seems to be more common than 4198 and offers the low (sub 20,000cup) pressures and velocities I'm after. I picked up a pound today just to have it. I can trade it or use it for something else if I don't use it for the 45-70? I already have some IMR 4198.

Also, what are your thoughts on Trail Boss? I noticed that it produces higher pressures than 4198, but lower velocities. I assume this is due to it being a faster burning powder. I'm familiar and comfortable with Trail Boss, and it initially seemed like a nice fit for this rifle, but I'm not sure it's a very good choice for pushing 45-70 out of a 32" barrel.

Last question: the only rifle caliber I have a lot of experience reloading is 30-30. My process there was to trim the brass after every use so I could get a consistent crimp on the case. Is crimping 45-70 (with the intention of using it in a trapdoor) necessary and/or recommended? And therefore is case length and case trimming required as frequently as it is with bottlenecked cartridges? I reload .38 special and I get several reloadings before the cases become long enough to worry about, and even then it's not every case in a batch.

Page generated in 0.02834 seconds with 8 queries