View Single Post
Old May 30, 2013, 09:19 AM   #1
LewSchiller

Using a police simulator to train civilians

last night my wife was at the bi-monthly Ladies Night at the shooting range. It's really a great program - they do class presentations...she gets range time with an instructor..it's a great deal.

Last night they had a police simulator and she got to participate. It sounds like a very useful and thought provoking tool, especially for situational awareness. My observation though, based on her recounting the experience, is that if you were to use it as a regular training tool you'd be teaching a CC civilian to do the wrong things.

The system rewards you for acting like an LEO. You approach a house with a Realtor and see somebody trying to get in the front door. Working on the lock. The guy turns around and reveals that he has a firearm in that it falls from his waistband. Rather than back away and flee you as the participant are supposed to draw and engage. In fact the system would have you as participant un-holster your weapon upon seeing the guy in the first place even though he has his back to you and could very well be a serviceman working on the house for the seller. (My personal take on it since that's what I do) This is great for an officer but not for civilian CC. All of the scenarios went that way because, after all, it is a police simulator.

As useful as it sounds, I would think that the companies who produce the simulators would come out with one appropriate for citizens who carry, or am I over-thinking it?

Page generated in 0.02120 seconds with 8 queries