View Single Post
Old May 21, 2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Gaerek

<~~~ Former TSA here.

In most cases, gun powder, in any form (black, smokeless, etc) won't set off any machines. It's something everyone is worried about, but isn't an issue. And even if it did, all it would mean is a more thorough check. You aren't going to get in trouble because a machine with a relatively high false positive rate goes off. It's only if something is found after the machine goes off will there be an issue.

Although I can't really get into specifics, the explosive trace detection machines in use by the TSA are incredibly sensitive and can differentiate between different types of explosives. They know the difference between C4, Semtex, and Alliant Blue Dot.

In other words, it's something gunners and reloaders constantly worry about, but it's absolutely nothing to worry abou. Worst case, they'll do a "dump" search of your bag, and you might get a little "who's your daddy" from your friendly blue shirt.

Having said that, I would HIGHLY recommend against using a range or hunting bag for travel. It's not about gun powder residue. It's about the loose round (or box, or several boxes of ammo you might have forgotten...yes I've seen it MANY times) or the hunting knife or other prohibited items that frequent those types of bags.

Quote:
I think a lot of stuff about the "sniffers" is marketing "they detect microns" "minute particles" "traces".
Usually, if you don't know something, you should probably not talk about it. I can tell you from experience that the machines in use are incredibly sensitive and can detect particles in excess of 1 part per million or better.

Quote:
The reality is TSA is a joke.
I can't disagree with this.

Page generated in 0.03714 seconds with 8 queries