View Single Post
Old April 18, 2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Ruger45LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctechdude
So far I am loving the ammo and longshot in the 40. Been thinking of trying in 45 acp +p as well, but haven't had the chance. Seems some people found out I have a stock pile of reloading supplies so I get hounded with can I get some ammo? lol sure if the price is right

Actually the very reason I have the 175 silvertips was for that exact reason. Recently acquired a Glock 20, and really didn't like the factory ammo. So purchased a bunch of the 175 silvertips to load up. They may be an older design but they work well. It is pretty pathetic from a compact gun I can push a forty faster than a 10mm from the same barrel and only slightly less FPS from a 10mm 4.5" barrel.

One thing I have learned in 10mm, If you load hot rounds and run them through the stock Glock 20 barrel, don't try and reload them hot again. I had a few smiles with loads that weren't even max after that. YMMV
I agree the 175gr Silvertip is a good solid bullet despite its age. The silver/silver looks good! It holds together quite well at higher velocity as well. I know what you mean about the G20 and handloads, I used to see some mangled brass using that thing even with less than book max charges, I'm not sure what the deal was...well yes I do it's the lack of good case support.

I have a sneaking suspicion the .40 brass is a little stronger than 10mm brass anyways. Your M&P likely has very good case support, something that can't be said of Glock 10mm's, I know the M&P I used to have didn't bulge brass. Here's a 175gr Silvertip from a .40 doing about 1300 fps:

As for the .45, I've not messed too much with Longshot in the ACP, mainly the Super. But one of my favorites is 8.0gr Power Pistol with a 230gr JHP, which will clock close to 1,000 fps in a 5" barrel, and close to 950 fps in my Glock 30 Gen4.

Magnum wheel man, if you're asking about Longshot in the 10mm, yes it works pretty well. When I used to load for the 10mm, book max 9.5gr would give me about 1265 fps with a 180gr jacketed from a stock 4.6" Glock 20. I ran a few slightly over book max and the velocity began to drop instead of increase. Using lead instead of jacketed got me around 1275 fps.

Not bad at all really, except that I can get those numbers using Longshot in the Glock 35 .40 using less powder.

Longshot works very well in .45 Super loads, I'm getting a 230gr jacketed around 1,230 fps from my Glock 21 with 5" KKM barrel.

Page generated in 0.03861 seconds with 8 queries