View Single Post
Old November 16, 2011, 11:51 PM   #26
ZVP

Yea they make a Boom!

Ok with the usual safety warnings present don't ya just love the sound of a BP revolver fired out in the open? Normal firing ranges are either covered or enclose in some manner, some indoors which amplifies the discharge note somewhat. The roof directs the sound back at you and walls bounce sounds and contain them to unbearsble levels! Outdoors is way different
The throaty roar of Black Powder discharge is far different than the sharp crack of Smokless and perhaps that is part of the allure of BP shooting. As mentioned I took advantage of a situation and did some shooting with my .36Piettia Police model sans hearing muffs. I was suprised at how bearable the shots sounded and were. I had no difficulty shooting under these conditions.
I'd done some handgun hunting and the sound of full house .357 Mags outdoors is far, FAR louder! Smokeless dosent seem to get absourbed by foilage and grasses.
Now just cause I did it don't you do it but due ti a slight hearing imparement from dear Uncle Sam I had no pain or discomfort with the .36. I tried a Remington. 44 but the 35 gr load was pretty loud for the bare ear. I could see me shooting my .36 out in the open!
I wonder if conicals sound different than Ball loads? Higher pressures might change the note?
Have any of you had outdoor experiences with your revolvers?
ZVP

Page generated in 0.02492 seconds with 8 queries