View Single Post
Old April 23, 2011, 02:51 PM   #76
Sarge

Quote:
The point of aim is the same as usual. It's the sight alignment that changes. The front sight is still on the target but it is no longer flush with the top of the rear sight. The pic below is blurry because of the focus being on the closer object (and I'm not a photographer) but it shows about what my sight alignment is. This equates to about a 55' holdover.
We used to hammer away at a 4x4 oak pallet, covered occasionally with fresh cardboard, at what GoogleEarth says is 680 yards, with various 44 and 45 revolvers. If we were feeling really frisky, we'd shoot at a white plastic 5 gallon bucket set off to one side of the pallet. With a 4" Model 29 or .45 Colt Blackhawks most of the front sight, held above the notch, would get us there.

One day I dug my old Ithaca 1911 out and fired a few of my meandering 230 RNL reloads, to range the target. Finally, by holding the top edge of the rear sight even with the front edge of the ejection port, I was able to walk a few shots onto the pallet.

Field artillery with handguns is a hoot, so long as you have a safe place to do it.

Page generated in 0.03261 seconds with 8 queries