View Single Post
Old November 21, 2010, 05:06 PM   #20
Slowhand

BP Powder for Home Defense

Chuck

I have a nice collection of Black Powder Weapons but.... they are for collection purposes and range use only. I also own a select group of modern firearms, have a concealed weapons permit that enables me to protect myself outside my front door, within the limits of the law.

The idea of calmly dashing over to a closet and smacking some caps onto 6 sealed chambers is not very practical. Your nipples would be fouled by what ever you chose to seal them with. Most people who take a BP Revolver to the range fire off a few caps on empty cylinders to clear them before shooting.

BP guns were of course used for home defense and carried around for self defense back in their day. Loading and capping the cylinders, then sealing them to prevent the invasion of moisture, with other concerns, was a common and well known practice. Beeswax and tallow were commonly used.

All great stuff from a historical point of view but not very practical in todays world where the Village Idiots turned Thugs carry heavy caliber revolvers or semi automatics.

An old style revolver in the hands of an experienced user or even a lucky beginner will of course do the job but I'd stick with more modern applications.

Regarding home defense. That's a whole different topic. I live in SC where we have Castle Laws that don't require us to retreat to another room. But I have little doubt that should I ever have to use a weapon in self defense there would be some major concerns about the afterwards part. Should I get the wrong investigating officer, an ambitious DA or a Judge, with a Brady Bunch Jury that equates a Home Owner who defends himself with a handgun on the same level as a criminal (Worse than... because Progressive Thinkers don't believe in the right to self defense and "we" should know better.).

I have made several contributions to defense funds for people who have clearly had to defend themselves but found that the Case Laws that some judges and DAs apply take precedence over legislative law. Do some reading. Some States make no provisions for justifiable homicide and things can get crazy real quick like.

Have fun with the BP Revolvers but I'd suggest you get yourself a modern piece, take a class to learn how to use and maintain it. Get yourself a permit and bone up on the legal aspects of the self defense in your State.

Page generated in 0.03877 seconds with 8 queries