View Single Post
Old November 14, 2008, 09:08 PM   #24
Socrates

Now, Patriots.

Remember the double rifle. It's been around for a long time, and for a very good reason.

Second: Jack would be the first one to tell you the merits of heavy caliber rifles. He'll say his cartridges kill about the same as a .375 H&H, not a 450 Nitro Express. Starting with the .416's, and going up, there is NO revolver that can compare. Also, certain calibers, I think from the .416 to .500's, allow you to get shots off fast enough so you can hit twice with a bolt action rifle. The REAL advantage is they create enough of a reaction that the animal either goes the other way, or, reacts by being 'knocked down', by whatever causes that reaction. This allows you to finish the animal with the other barrel, or, with a second shot from a bolt gun.

There does seem to be a difference when bullet weight is added. The .510 Max, and the .500 S&@ are in a league by themselves in being able to shoot over 440 grain bullets. 525's, my current load for my maximum, are reported to REALLY effect large game, if shot placement is good, and, really **** them off if it's not.

While my Max, and the 500 are both around or over 3000 ft lbs of energy, for perspective, 375 H&H loads come in at around 4500-5000 ft-bs, in custom loads. You can contrast that with the .475 Ackley, 500 grains at 2400 fps, for 6,400 ft pounds of energy, or, the 458 Lott, At 5,875 ft-lbs of energy. There is really no comparision.

The arguments for bullet construction limiting the ability to use velocity are invalid. Punch bullets, GS, Barnes, all are monometal, or dual metal bullets that when shot into dirt, can just about be cleaned off, and shot again, they are so strong.

Now, for some reason I can't really figure out, the .500's seem to kill WAY better then they should. The ballistic tables don't indicate why.

Do I feel undergunned with a .475 Linebaugh???
Do I want to get hit with a 400 grain XTP at 1350 fps, that will break both shoulders on an elk, punch a nice big exit hole, and keep on going? Not high on my list. I'd like to see that load tested at Linebaugh's...

Page generated in 0.02897 seconds with 8 queries