View Single Post
Old March 29, 2006, 06:17 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Oh, BLACK POWDER?

Sorry, I misunderstood. Didn't think you'd been using black powder. I thought all the Cowboy Action loads were put up with mild charges of smokeless powder. Actually, the original black powder .45 Colt loads were pretty stout, more so, actually, than modern factory smokeless ammo.

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of the conversion kit you're using. I am entirely confident that the Ruger FRAME would easily tolerate the strongest smokeless powder load you'd want to use. The conversion CYLINDER, though, especially without a brand name given for research purposes - - That's another question entirely. I can't imagine anyone offering for sale a truly weak cylinder, one made from second rate steel. I'd think - - THINK, mind you -- that if the cartridge cylinder diameter is the same as that of the original Old Army cylinder, it should easily accept low end-to-standard smokeless loads.

After all, Remington and Winchester have been selling their 250 gr. lead flat point loads for many decades, and people have been shooting them in some really ancient Colt Single Action Armies. I don't believe I'd want to load any hotter for your conversion, though.

Best,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.04103 seconds with 8 queries