View Single Post
Old February 14, 1999, 11:19 PM   #7
Daniel Watters

Then again, I've seen some pretty spotty machine work on some Norinco slides and frames. I think your gunsmith will like you better if you just went ahead and bought a fitted frame/slide kit from Caspian. While you're at it, Caspian can cut the slide for a BoMar or Novak, and cut the frame for a ramped barrel and a beavertail.

Don't get me wrong, the Norinco can be a great deal if you intend to keep the majority of the pistol intact after customization. But if you just want a frame, it is an example of poor economy to buy an entire pistol.

Another thing to watch out for on Norinco frames is the non-standard grip screw bushings. Many refinishers will want to remove them before plating or blueing. If you don't, any rust which might be hidden there can defeat the integrity of the plating. (One friend found this out the hard way.)

Unfortunately, the bushings are staked in and their threads often get stripped during removal. You might as well recut the frame now for the over-sized grip screw bushings. Another chum figured this out _AFTER_ his Norinco frame was hard chromed and the factory bushings thrashed.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Page generated in 0.03441 seconds with 8 queries