View Single Post
Old August 10, 2005, 01:43 PM   #19
Olaf

Thanks, snuffy.
In fact, no, my sizing die is not a Lee COLLET die...but it is the standard Lee (full-length) sizing die. I will check the sizing "assembly" in the die (on the Lee, it's not a ball)...as has been suggested to me already. I may, in fact, need a new die. Your idea, that the bullets could be a bit undesize, certainly is a possibility. Good thinking. I've checked a few of them, in the past...and they've always been spot on - .323". However, it's certainly possible that a proportion of each box of them could be undersized (manufacturing tolerances). That didn't occur to me. Thanks for the idea.
I will also check closely the inside dimension of the sized cases - to see if I can gain any further evidence as to whether the die is out of spec.

I have considered a neck sizing die....especially since, after the first firing, I neck size (only) my cases. I do want to emphasize though, that the neck tension "issue"...is not really too bothersome. When I say that the neck tension is not sufficient...I mean that the bullet can be made to move by pushing the completed round, tip first, against a block of wood - with moderate pressure. It is NOT as if the bullet can be moved with finger pressure, or anything like that. The light crimp I apply (with the Lee FCD), seems to eliminate the problem...or at least, it's potential effects. I didn't intend to turn this thread in the direction of discussing my neck tension "problem". It's really not that much of a problem, in a practical sense...and so far as I can tell, it isn't causing any problems with chambering or accuracy. So, I will take a look at the items that have been suggested...but let's not make this the focus here.

I suppose that I bear a good bit of blame for making the neck tension issue more "visible" than it should have been (I only initially mentioned it in passing, as I was commenting about why I do use the Lee FCD). Sorry if the thread seemed to be getting hijacked. Things went sideways when I was accused of, in essence, 'screwing it up somehow' (as the likely or only possible cause). I should have simply ignored this useless comment, at the time. My bad. I have learned something though, about who I can deal with reasonably here...and who I can't. So, it's not a total loss.

In any case, thanks everyone, for the advice (the USEFUL advice, anyway).

Page generated in 0.03844 seconds with 8 queries