View Single Post
Old February 17, 2015, 03:02 PM   #20
Skans

Quote:
There are two basic kinds of collectors,
This is were I have to disagree. If only there were two kinds of collectors, answering the question of whether to refinish or not would be easy. There is a range of collectors with a range of tastes and a range of discretionary money.

Owning a pristine, original 1911 made in 1912 will likely be an impossibility for me. But, I might be able to afford one that has been expertly refinished. And, I would be quite happy with it. In fact, I would rather have one that is expertly refinished, matching and original parts (as the one I referenced above) over a 70% condition or less of the same gun that hasn't had its finished touched.

Yet, I had to pass on the Chromed Borchardt C-93 that I might have been able to afford - who knows if it could have been refinished correctly, but I couldn't stand looking at it.

I would also rather have a Colt-refinished '57 Python than that same Python that has lots of finish wear. Yes, it would be worth at least $350 more for me to have the nicely refinished one.

I'm just not as averse to expertly refinished guns as others may be. I see value in them, and I might consider paying more for such an gun than for the same thing which shows all 100 years of wear and tear.

Then there are some guns I don't want to see refinished, like an old 1st Gen Colt SAA 45. I don't know why, but I like to see some honest wear on these guns. Maybe its because its too easy to find one just like it being made new by several manufacturers.

Page generated in 0.03606 seconds with 8 queries