View Single Post
Old January 20, 2014, 12:19 AM   #40
tipoc

There are a number of illogical prejudices about this stuff.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, the nutria shooting is much like shooting an armadillo that's digging up your yard, the feral dog or cat in your garbage, etc....it's shooting a pest that no one is really concerned about. When you say "What can you HUNT"...it brings to mind the connotation of actually taking to the field in pursuit of an animal. And I can think of absolutely nothing I would pursue with a 9mm. I will even follow a wounded possum shot near my chicken coop to finish it off, rather than let it suffer. Why on earth would I pursue a game animal with a 9mm?
Over the many decades folks have gone hunting with a variety of calibers and handguns. Folks going on longer hunts with their long guns have often carried 22 caliber handguns for taking small game for meals like squirrel, raccoon, etc.

The 22, 22Magnum, 17 HMR, 32 H&R Magnum, 32-20, 38 Spl. the .357 Magnum and more have all been used to take game for the pot and from handguns. So the 9mm in a handgun or carbine can also play that role.

It doesn't occur to some that it can because it's a combat round and not a revolver round. It doesn't occur to others because they think it's underpowered for deer and their head gets stuck on that and they don't think much beyond that or game smaller than a small deer.

Some think of hunting as something done with a rifle only. Their experience is limited. In much of the world, monkey, dog, raccoon, possum, etc. are food for the table and the 9mm has taken it's share. Bush meat is what it's called in Kenya. A friend that lived there used to shoot the heads off meercats with a Luger in 9mm. Make a stew.

This is mostly all limited experience or prejudice. The 9mm will take any game the 38 Spl. will take and any the 17HMRwill take. It can do it. Don't mean it'd be my first choice. But it has done it plenty and does it daily.

tipoc

Page generated in 0.02018 seconds with 8 queries