View Single Post
Old September 17, 2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Jo6pak

Foaming bore cleaner and gas ports

I recently started using Gunslick foaming bore cleaner, just figured I'd give it a try. It works great and cleans up both lead and copper fouling nicely, but I thought I'd give a heads up to forum members.

This weekend I hit the range with my M1 Garand and M1A Scout. I loaded up the M1A to check zero and it would not cycle. I removed the plug and dumped out the gas piston. Then I used a plastic dental pick to feel around near the port. A few pokes freed up some black chalky residue that I can only conclude was dried up foam which I failed to clean out the last time I cleaned it. Afterwards the rifle was back to it's normal great function.

Before shooting the Garand, I decided to check it out. I did the same proceedure with the dental pick and produced the same chalky black residue from the gas port area.

In hindsight the problem is quite obvious, the foam expands into the gas-port, and when the barrel and gas tube are patched. The crude and foam must congeal into a kind of sludge that dries and clogs the port, instead of being flushed away like when I used liquid based solvents.

This is not an issue with the foaming cleaner so much as it is a need to change my cleaning process when using the product. I myself will continue to use foaming gun cleaner, especially since it really speeds up teh process when cleaning multiple firearms after a day at the range.

I just thought I'd give a heads up to others that may run into the same issue, and ask if anyone else has had this experience.

Page generated in 0.02484 seconds with 8 queries