View Single Post
Old February 18, 2012, 11:49 PM   #11
JT-AR-MG42

Probably should have mentioned that after removing the band spring, you may need to use a brass drift to tap the band off. Just use the drift on the top edge along the barrel while holding the tip of the bayonet lug/wood section in place with the cut. The brass marks will rub back off. A liitle oil to cut the friction will help also.

It will be trickier yet after you repair the stock cut! Mine all get a fine coat of cosmoline to protect the metal under the stock to to save from constant diss assembly.

I'll second MCBs suggestion of the dowels with epoxy. Take care to line things up when installing the epoxy and use the barreled action to keep things in alignment while the epoxy dries.

Nice photos that re-enforce my opinion of the rifle being a bringback. The matching numbers complete bolt and the stamped TG looks consistent even without a serial.

I'd say you got a very nice 98K that will start the collection off right. Mauser at Oberndorf got spared the bombing and continued to produce quality 98s right up until the surrender. Duffelbag cut rifles don't come along everyday.

JT

Last edited by JT-AR-MG42; February 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.03285 seconds with 8 queries