View Single Post
Old March 29, 2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

A Zero-Knowledge reply

L&H12
I seldom enter a reply to a thread on which I know absolutely nothing, but - - -
I'm glad you asked this question, and I hope you get several replies from members with a LOT of information. In the meantime, I'd like to know more.

Did you use a kit to make the conversion? If so, which one? How does it shoot with the cowboy loads? Does the conversion entail any alteration that would prevent you from retrofitting to the percussion mode? Do you have any photographs you can post for our (MY) enlightenment?

I've kinda been on the scout for a Ruger Old Army for the past few years. We've all read of someone who wanted to buy a gun just to go with a large stock of ammunition or such. Well, I was gifted with a nifty older model Bianchi holster for a 7-1/2" Ruger, which had belonged to the late Skeeter Skelton. I'd like to put it to some use as homage to one of my favorite writers, and I've really liked the appearence of the fixed-sight version of the Ruger OA.

Please pardon me if this entry appears to be a thread highjack - - It is not so intended.

In partial answer to one of your questions - - At your indoor range, is their concern about shooting lead bullets indoors? Do they require jacketed bullets to reduce pollution? If so, please don't go TOO light with jacketed bullets, especially in the longer barrel revolver - - There is the possibility of sticking the higher-friction bullet in the barrel. I should think that a 230 gr jacketed bullet with 8.0 gr. of either 231 or Unique would suit your purposes. These should yield velocities in the low 800 fps range, and with the lighter bullet, ought to be pleasant to shoot. I have not tried these myself, but have shot a lot of 230 LRN with 8.0 of 231 in .45 Colt cases. I used this in my S&W Mountain Gun for IDPA matches. It's just a touch warmer than the old .45 S&W (Scofield) load.

Best,
Johnny

Page generated in 0.03297 seconds with 8 queries